I completed this challenge with flying colors. My studio is now full of work-in-progress, several of which I'm very excited to continue. I started a handful of new cityscapes, a few portraits, and two abstract red paintings. I've never been much of an abstract artist, but I think it's worth playing with.
This challenge was a great way to motivate myself to choose new subjects and get painting. But while I did start all the canvases (as per my self-imposed rules), some of them are just barely started. Some weeks I spent very little time actually painting.
March's challenge attempts to address this issue: I have to spend 20 hours per week on art. At least 10 hours per week has to be actually painting; the other 10 can include activities such as learning Photoshop (a goal for a while now), researching art classes, etc. I'd also like to finally work through The Vein of Gold
I'm not sure how I'll do with this challenge. It's different. I'm not used to working just for the sake of putting in hours; usually I'm most effective when working towards a goal, instead. In this situation, the 'working' is the goal itself.
I am not off to a great start with this challenge. It's already Wednesday afternoon, and I've only logged 1.5 hours in front of the easel. This is not going to be easy, but hey, sometimes challenges should be challenging. :)





3 comments:
Hi,
I was checking out people that paint, and I came across your blog.
I write and paint. Take a look at my blog, you might find it of interest.
Fred
Hello JUL,
Did you read the book "The Artists Way"? Is it a self help type book, or is it truly an artists aid for spiritual growth?
How is your red abstract painting going, are you using Acrylics, Gouache, or Oil based paints.
You are so busy with all your blogs I really like them...Noe
Moneythoughts - Thanks for stopping by! I look forward to checking out your blog.
Noe - I did read (and work through) The Artist's Way a couple years ago. It is definitely a little self-help-y. I think it did me a lot of good, though - the positives definitely outweigh the negatives, and I found it worthwhile. I liked the structured exercises.
Most of my current paintings are oils, but a couple (including the abstract ones) are acrylic. I think I might be better off sticking with just one medium at this point, but I'm having a hard time choosing one over the other.
And I think I have too many blogs! :)
Post a Comment