Monday, November 03, 2008

AEDM day 3: self-portrait and red sky

I can't say enough good things about participating in Art Every Day Month so far. I've had a great time looking at the work of other participants and being inspired to try new things. Today I worked on a variety of stuff.

I started this self-portrait a long time ago and then forgot about it. I added another layer to it today. Rarely do I use so many colors in one painting.


I also played around in my sketchbook, something I don't do enough these days.



The last painting I completed for my art show last year had a deep red sky; I find myself wanting to make more skies red these days.

And finally, I did a little more to the goldfish painting from yesterday. I like how I caught Barack Obama on the TV in the background. I'm addicted to election news today.
Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

Leah said...

so much beautiful work!! i like the sketchbook page with the curled figure.

Kim said...

Sehr Beschaftigt bist du!!!! Sehr schoen..and thanks again for getting me into this too!

Melissa said...

Loving your work! The colors of the self-portrait rock. They remind me of my journals...speaking of which -

Wanted to let you know: you ARE definitely included in the drawing. Writing your name to be placed in the basket in a moment. I am willing to ship the free-bee for free anywhere the winner comes from! Crossing my fingers for you. Good luck and thanks for coming by.

~Self-portrait Sparkle~
Melissa

Anonymous said...

Hi Jul, Oh my!!! I absolutely LOVE your HUG sketch, it caught my eye right away! Very very cool. Great to hear that your creative energy is flowing! I think i caught the AEDM bug also...hehe Cheers :D

Anonymous said...

LOVE the self-portrait - I keep aiming at something like that but haven't hit it yet. And thanks for stopping by my blog - AEM is a wonderful way to find great new art blogs, yes?!

Leacayoungart said...

love the fishes.

Tequitia said...

i really like the self portrait, very beautiful

Rowena said...

I too like the challenge of painting everyday. Or being creative everyday, period.

It could be put into any genre as a way to build the creative habit and stretch our creative muscles.

And I have found myself attracted to yellow skies, a color I used to never use and now use all the time. All because of a challenge.

carin.c said...

I love how you used many colors in the self-portrait. I haven't been brave enough to try that yet (stray from realistic colors or do a self portrait)... getting much closer though! Great sketches and I like the progress on the fish painting.

Jul said...

Thanks for the comments, all!

Tammy - I totally agree. I'm finding some great new art blogs out there this month!

Carin - I have the opposite tendency with colors... I'm not a fan of doing portraits using realistic colors. It makes me feel constrained.